Director of Science Administration/Chief Compliance Officer
The Hanover Insurance Group in Brookhaven, MS
- Industry: Executive Management - Administrative/Operational Support
- Type: Full Time
- Compensation: $91,070.00 - 202,110.00 / Year*
Director of Science Administration/Chief Compliance Officer
The Wistar Institute, 3601 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America Req #396
Monday, February 10, 2020
The Wistar Institute is seeking a Director of Science Administration/Chief Compliance Officer. Reporting to the President & CEO, the Director of Science Administration/Chief Compliance Officer is responsible for the oversight of science administration, including research compliance activities, research resources, and designated strategic initiatives, and for the overall compliance environment at the Institute through activities of the Compliance Committee.
Working collaboratively with Senior Administrators and research scientists, the Director of Science Administration/Chief Compliance Officer leads a team of research operations, safety, and compliance professionals and is responsible for fostering effective and productive professional relationships and a safe and ethical work environment to support and augment the work of the Institute.
General Science Administration duties:
- Oversees policy development relating to scientific operations and biosafety (in consultation with the Environmental Health & Safety Manager).
- Oversees management of staffed and unstaffed shared resources outside of the Cancer Center, including common use equipment and oversight of contract equipment service vendors.
- Consults with the President & CEO on research space and equipment needs for the laboratories and shared resources.
- In consultation with the President & CEO, manages the transition of new and departing faculty (i.e., provides assistance with equipment purchases, laboratory setup or closure, and acquisition or transfer of biological materials). Coordinates the activities of all operational departments involved with the transition of new and departing faculty.
- Oversees some Institute grants and reports related to compliance, facilities, and equipment.
- Administers the transfer and disposal process for movable scientific equipment in conjunction with the Finance department.
- Ensures coordination with Cancer Center and participates with administration and shared resources committees to ensure coordination with Institutional initiatives.
Research Compliance Duties:
- Develops and implements Institutional policies and practices to ensure that the Institute meets all regulatory requirements and assurances related to proper care and use of laboratory animals and review of human subjects research.
- Supervises the Institutes contract veterinarians.
- Serves as the Institutional Official for the animal research program and the Human Protections Administrator for the human research program as defined by the relevant federal assurances.
- Supervises and works directly with the Environmental Health & Safety Manager to ensure the Institutes laboratory and biosafety programs meet best standards and regulatory requirements.
- Ensures administrative support and oversight of the Institutes Institutional Review Board (IRB), Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC), Laboratory and Institutional Safety Committee, and Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC).
- Oversees the preparation of applications for receipt or renewal of institutional assurances and accreditation (e.g., for the IRB, IACUC, and Animal Facility) and coordinates all related site visits and requests for documentation.
- Works directly with the Vice President, General Counsel, Secretary, Government Affairs, to develop and implement institutional policies and practices ensuring that the Institute meets all regulatory requirements and assurances for the conduct of research, including requirements for managing financial conflicts of interest and investigating scientific misconduct.
- Fulfills the role of the Institutes Ethics Administrator and Research Integrity Officer as defined by the Institutes Financial Conflict of Interest and Research Misconduct policies, respectively.
- Oversees the conduct of periodic compliance reviews and internal audits of research compliance activities.
- Disseminates information on regulatory research compliance and safety to the Institute staff through a comprehensive training program, including training sessions for new and existing employees, and preparation and distribution of educational materials.
Chief Compliance Officer (CCO) duties:
- Chairs the Institutes Compliance Committee.
- Develops effective lines of communication with direct access to Institute leadership, all senior management, and internal and external legal counsel.
- Keeps the President & CEO informed regarding compliance activities and risks under the Compliance Committees mandate.
- In consultation with the Vice President, General Counsel, Secretary, Government Affairs and other senior administrators as needed, identifies weaknesses in institutional compliance. Confirms corrective action plans are developed and implemented when necessary.
- In consultation with the Vice President, General Counsel, Secretary, Government Affairs and other senior administrators as needed, confirms alleged violations of regulations or rules are investigated or evaluated.
- In consultation with the Vice President, General Counsel, Secretary, Government Affairs and other senior administrators as needed, confirms that legislative and agency affairs are monitored to ensure that institutional policies remain current, and that new regulatory requirements are implemented in a timely manner.
- Copied on the results of all internal audit reports and works closely with key managers to identify risks.
- Ensures through the Compliance Committee that regulatory compliance training not under Research Compliance direct oversight is disseminated to Institute staff.
- In consultation with the Vice President, General Counsel, Secretary, Government Affairs, provides advice to Institute management and staff when compliance questions arise.
- Institutional point of contact, or provides support to the institutional point of contact depending upon the nature of the inquiry or action, for regulatory agencies regarding compliance inquiries or incidents requiring reporting through established channels.
Graduate degree with seven or more years of experience in science or medical administration, regulatory affairs, or related field, required. The preferred candidate will have experience at an academic institution or federal regulatory agency. In addition, the successful candidate will have demonstrated managerial and supervisory experience. Exceptional written and verbal skills coupled with the ability to think strategically and collaboratively is required.
The Wistar Institute is located in the University City area of Philadelphia, in the heart of the University of Pennsylvania Campus. Wistar provides resources to its faculty and staff that enable them to conduct cutting edge collaborative research and provides for outstanding intellectual environments and state-of-the-art facilities. Research discoveries conducted at Wistar have led to the development of vaccines; the identification of genes associated with cancers; and the development of many other significant research technologies and tools.
We offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package.
It is the policy of The Wistar Institute to provide equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or on the basis of genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law, with respect to all terms and conditions of employment.
- The Wistar Institute, 3601 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America
Associated topics: foreign affairs, government, legislative, policy, political science, politics, public affairs, rights
* Estimated salary
More Jobs Hiring Near Me!